Thursday, April 05, 2012

Rodeo Drive

"Weeeellll it's 40 below and I don't give a fuck, so I hop in my truck and I'm off to the rodeo!!!"

Weeeellll... it was more like 24 above (that's Celcius  - go Canada!) but this summer I attended my first rodeo with my girlfriend Caitlin.

Having grown up in Abbotsford I'd attended the Agrifair many a time, but had never actually seen the rodeo part of things. (Or the Fat Pig part actually... and I missed the boat, because the previous year had been too rowdy, and alas, it's shut down, hopefully not forever.)

Caitlin is dating a real, live cowboy... who we picked up at the airport, along with his cowboy friends, and headed to the stadium. I was wearing my cutest rodeo-ish-without-trying-too-hard gear: a cute denim dress with a brown belt, and brown slouchy boots... and the boys took notice :)

We dropped them off to get ready, and roamed around for a while. Bonus: using their IDs to get in for free! We got some fresh fruit samples, coo'd over the baby animals, took a look at the goods for sale, then charged by a giant horse... so we decided to head back to watch the show.

Sitting near us at the rodeo was a lady who you knew had been around the rodeo circuit for a long time. I asked Caitlin what they call the rodeo whores... you know, the country version of "puck slut" or "puck bunny" and she told me they're Buckle Bunnies (because the winner get belt buckles.) This lady was telling us what hotels the guys stay at in all the different cities. She was a riot.

Caitlin's boyfriend is a calf-roper, apparently a sweeter, kinder cowboy than the bucking bronco riders, who get all the girls and are full of themselves. We watched him go and he was in first place! Yee-haw!

After the rodeo we hung out in the VIP tent. It was all cheap booze and free food and plaid shirts. The food took forever... but can't complain about free, right? There was also a plethora of cowboys to flirt with. That had never really been my style, but they are CHARMING I tell ya. However, they're basically all married and have a wife at home with kids in Alberta somewhere so that's a downer.

Later on, Caitlin's friend Hilary showed up with her horse and a couple bottles of cheap wine, so we headed to the field and had a picnic next to the horseys. Nothing like lying in a grassy field, handing around wine bottles on a warm summer night. I'm definitely in for this year!

1 comment:

Meerb said...

Pretty good post! I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.