Monday, October 31, 2011

Mexico, Here I Come!

As I mentioned, I headed to Mexico straight from my niece's birthday party... but it was a little more complicated than that.

The friend I was travelling with was already going to be downtown, so I was on my own to get to the airport. Oh, and the flight left at 6am so we were supposed to be at the airport at 4am. Not even close to morning, nope, definitely still the middle of the night in my books.

Luckily, my parents have some friends that live in Richmond, so I parked my car at their place, took a nap for a couple hours, and cabbed it to the airport. I'd called ahead early to have a cab at their place at 3:30. I set my alarm for quarter after 3, so I'd have time to get dressed properly (couldn't sleep in my bra, it was poking me) and leave a thank you note for the couple. As it turned out the cabbie lived on the same street at my parents' friends, so literally a minute after my alarm went off my phone rang, telling me the cab had arrived.

I threw on my bra and ran out the door.

I arrived at the airport, and my friend was nowhere to be seen. Multiple texts and calls went unanswered. I decided to check in without her so I could at least wait without lugging my giant suitcase around. We were going to Mexico for a wedding, and 20 of them probably walked past me, but I hadn't met anyone at this point so had to wait all alone. I finally got a hold of her, and at about 4:30 she arrived at the airport. I was shitting my pants (figuratively.)

After meeting the wedding party we boarded the plane and headed south. The plane ride was uneventful. I did, however, sit in the middle seat next to a man who was taking a trip to celebrate getting divorced and meeting a new girl. Oh, I got an earful the entire trip... Fortunately, he felt weird putting a single drink on his VISA, so he bought for us too. Totally worth it.

A few hours later we arrived. Mexico, here we come!

No comments: