Saturday, July 09, 2011

Holiday... Celebrate!

And heeeeere's a recap of how the holidays went for me this year:

Ladies' night at Eighteen27
This is probably my favourite restaurant in Langley. My girlfriend and I got dropped off and immediately hit up the martini list. I was drinking one with eggnog in it that was super delicious. We decided to share a couple appies, including the fondue. LOVES IT! After we were sufficiently lubricated I wanted to head out to Gabatron's... but she had to get up early in the morning, so we decided to head back and hang in her hot tub. It was awesome, but in the morning I woke up with a hot tub rash, or as we like to call it "skinerosis." I got a prescription cream from the doctor and was hunky dory in no time.

Baking with Nicole
My sister and I have a certain way of doing things. I'm "the brains" and she's "the beef." I tell her what to do, and she does it, and this works for us. Nicole's known for being halfway through a recipe and then realizing that you're supposed to refrigerate the dough overnight... that type of thing. With me barking out orders: "Get out the vanilla, the flour and the brown sugar!" and her doing them as I did the dishes etc, it worked amazingly. Also, I found that baking was made even more entertaining while drinking Bacardi Breezers. Not very festive, but they do the job. We turned out a wide variety of tasty confections. Nom nom.

Chocolates
I also made chocolates with my mommy. It's fun, but harder than you think. Kind of like child labour.

Snow Tires
I don't know where the rumour started that it was supposed to be the snowiest winter in 50 years... but that person is an asshole. As my Christmas present my parents gave me money towards getting snow tires on my car. I figured since I work in Abbotsford now it was a good investment. I was WRONG. I think it snowed 3 times this year, and one of those times was BEFORE I even got the tires put on! The good thing was I got a really good deal on them from my sister's friend's dad. Thank you! A case of beer goes a long way!

Christmas
Ummm... do I remember Christmas? That I drank lots of booze and ate lots of turkey is a fair assumption. It was my niece's first Christmas so she was spoiled as shit.

Boxing Day
We see my dad's side of the family every other Boxing Day. For the Americans reading this... Boxing Day is an extra stat we get off the day after Christmas. Suck it. We typically get together with my dad's side of the family and this year was no exception. This year however instead of the typical present exchange what we did was do what the call a "White Elephant" or "Nasty Christmas" with giftcards. Where everyone puts one in and we draw names. The first person picks first, the next person can pick and new one or steal theirs, and so on. I'm usually not a fan of gift cards. They sit in my wallet for years and I forget to use them, even when I buy something at that store... but this made it fun. I ended up with a Chapter's card, which is awesome because that store is like crack to me.

Lunch with a Friend
When my sister and I were about the age that we were old enough to babysit outselves after school, but my mom didn't quite trust us to do that we went to my sister's friend's house after school. It was good times. We'd make up rhythmic gymnastics routines, scale the fence in her backyard and break into the Agrifair, and play NHL'94 on the computer, always pausing to kiss Trevor Linden's picture on the screen. Oh, to be young again. The friend and her family moved away to California, and then Phoenix, but we'd still seem them occasionally when they came up her to visit family. This year the girl our age came out herself and her and I, along with my sister all met for lunch. It was so nice to see her and catch up. No matter when you live, boy problems are universal!

New Year's
I spent New Year's Eve at a dinner party at my friend Genevieve's house. She prides herself on being a good cook, and having lots of courses, and giving me lots of forks and spoons to choose from around the plate. (Don't worry... the rest of us aren't classy like her.) She even went to the effort of making us turkey dinner. We started with soup, and then had turkey with sausage stuffing stuffed (no shit) under the skin. Potatoes, veggies... mmm. We had plenty of time in between courses to chill, listen to music, and drink some vino. Her final course was a chocolate lava cake. She took it out of the oven. and turned the pan upside-down on the counter... and whooshhhhh... "Counter Cake" was invested. What is counter cake, you ask? It's when you scoop half-cake, half fudgy pudding off the counter and eat it anways. And it was fucking delicious. After this we had our own little dance party in her living room. Her sister was visiting from Quebec, and in traditional French fashion was a little crazy and she was awesome. I'm so happy I spent New Year's this was instead of some lame club!

And those were the holidays! Stay tuned for my to bring my blog into 2011!

2 comments:

Nicole D said...

His name is spelled LINDEN...GEEZ! other than that, I approve of this post

Danielle said...

As Leah would say "UH OH." All fixed!