Thursday, April 28, 2011

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

In October was my parents' 30th Anniversary. I know, that's a LONG time to be together.

My sister and I had decided weeks earlier that we wanted to plan something. We'd already had big parties at the house recently for my mom's 50th birthday/my niece's being born so we decided to do something a little more low-key.

We told them that we were going to take them out to a nice dinner, just them, me, my sister and her husband and insisted we were paying. What we really did was invite a group of their oldest and dearest friends to be there too and surprise them.

Well, pulling one over on my dad isn't that easy... since he doesn't really like us to be spending money on him. He kept telling us that he'd rather us cook him dinner at home (Thanksgiving was coming up so he just wanted to combine it and have us make turkey.) We kept having to have fake reasons why we wanted to go out to eat. Finally (after being bitched at for the 5th time) I blurted out "We have a coupon!" trying to make him feel better. My idiot sister replies "We do?" Arghhh. "Um.. yes." We didn't.

We'd decided that for the party we wanted to decorate a little bit using their wedding colours... Brown and peach. It ws the 80's, don't ask. We made them little wedding favours of fuzzy peaches and chocolate covered cramberries wrapped in lace, with their names and the date attached with ribbon. They were super cute.

That night we arrived at Galini Greek Kouzina (my fave!) and my parents were completely surprised to see all their friends! Yay! Well actually one set of their friends was MIA. They h adn't called or anything... strange for grown-ups. But the strangest thing was that neither of them carry a cell phone. In this day and age. Strange!

The dinner was wonderful. I even stood up and made a speech (there was no way my sister would have.) Bascially we wanted to thank our parents for raising us right and all the things they've provided us iwht over the years. And we told them that nowadays so many of our friends have divorced parents and broken families and we're glad they're still together and can show us how a relationship can really work. See, I can be sentimental occasionally!

My dad did have to have his way and although he let us pay for his dinner he insisted on paying for all the drinks for the whole table. On HIS anniversary. Oh well, whatever makes him happy.

No comments: