Friday, January 14, 2011

Cirque du Soliel - Vancouver

In August I went with some girls that I work with and their boyfriends to see Kooza, the Cirque du Soliel show in Vancouver. I had seen "Zumanity" previously in Vegas, but this was my first time seeing the show under the big top.
We arrived, grabbed a drink and headed inside. Even though it was August we were still in Vancouver after all, so it was a cool, rainy day. We had fandangled some cheap tickets from my friend's dad so we were seated at the side of the stange, not quite behind a pole. You get what you pay for, right?

The show was pretty cool. The theme centered around this little boy who was flying his kite, then fell asleep and was having a dream about clowns and boxes and acrobats and such.


There were some crazy contortionists, unicycle stunts and men driving bikes across tightrope wires. I spend the entire show awestruck, with my mouth wide open like a flounder.


The scariest part was the "Wheel of Death" where two men were inside two wheels spinning around, and then they were on the outside of the wheels. One was at the top jumping rope and he caught his foot and started to fall. There was a collective *gasp* and then he secured his footing again. Whew!


I would have enjoyed the show a lot more had the AC not been pumping out frigid air on an already not-too-warm day. I was wearing my coat and still freezing. I'll definitely go again next year when Cirque comes... if I can get some more *ahem* cheap tickets. One of the guys I went to high school with is apparently in one of their shows  now... Ovo, come to Vancouver!

No comments: