Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Review - Tim Horton's Latte

I've officially tried the new Timmy's latte... and surprisingly it's not too shabby!

Pros:
Cheap (About $2.50 for a medium)
Comes with the good kind of lid. Not the ones where you have to rip open and push into the slot and it won't stay down.
Good flavour

Cons:
Made with 2% milk only, no exceptions
No decaf option
It's no Starbucks!

When I went through the drive-thru I asked the girl if they had sugar-free syrup and she didn't know. She tells me "It's a syrup shot." Obviously! Now go check if it's sugar-free, honey! After checking she assured me that it was (which I later confirmed on their website - 4cals, 1carb.)

She did say to me though, "So you want just the flavour shot, not the vanilla base then?" I replied "yes," but I'm pretty sure that as a latte it shouldn't have a vanilla base. Latte=espresso+steamed milk+flavour if wanted... am I right? Isn't that what Timmy's is trying to market now? "Real" drinks as opposed to their old cappuccinos that were from a mix? Either this girl was confused and has been making them incorrectly... or Tim's is the same as always.

One thing to point out is that it's still the same old Timmies... and you will need to go the the bathroom after drinking one!

Summary
Better than the lattes I've had from the Bread Garden. Good flavour and coffee kick for your price. If you want something super fancy to go Starbucks, but hopefully these will stick around for a while.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'd rather pay the extra $2 get a real latte from starbucks...but that's just me :)

Anonymous said...

Which location did you have this Latte? I live and work in the Oakville/Burlington area and can't seem to find them anywhere. Not to mention when I ask the Tim's that I frequent, they don't know anything about it. I even asked at the Tim's headoffice store (not that they must know but one would think they would start there) and nothing. Glazed over look! I just wanna try one.

Danielle said...

I got it in Langley,BC so I probably can't help you too much, sorry. You'd think if we have them then you guys would too, you usually get stuff first! Hopefully soon!

Anonymous said...

We have them in Vanderhoof, BC. I recently went to Alberta to visit family and could not find them there.

Anonymous said...

Not in Calgary- although I saw it in BC as well- not sure if it is a loss if we don't get it- Timmy's can barely get an order straight- at least if SB's messes up- you get a free coffee. What would Tim's give- a free donut?

Anonymous said...

I work in a Tim Hortons in Ontario, and they will start selling lattes, espresso etc in December.

Danielle said...

Wow, they're like 2 years behind there, then!

Anonymous said...

Umm my husband is siscilian an Starbucks isn't a real latte, but any ways I wanna try tim's I love their regular stuff (with the exception of the ice coffee ewww). The are coming out all over ontario tomorrow nov 14 and the rest of Canada after :)

Anonymous said...

I work at a timmies. We have the new lattes. They are good!! I havent tried the normal lattes, but the mocha lattes are delicious! I def reccomend it :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah they have them advertised at my local Tim's in Ottawa and I asked this morning if they come in decaf and her response was "I have no idea, I have only made one of them and know nothing about them." I know its Tim's and not Starbucks or anything but geez train your staff...thank you single white female for knowing the answer :) but boo to no decaf :(

Anonymous said...

I don't know what Tim's location your had your 'latte' from, but I tried one the other night and they are utterly wretched. They are made from an oversized Tassimo machine; not anywhere close to authentic steamed milk and/or espresso. Nobody was steaming the milk, it all came out of one machine in one large heaping disgusting mess. Yet again, epic fail for Tim Horton's on their attempt to serve anything decent that doesn't taste like tar or watered down overused coffee grinds. Honestly consider what you are putting in your body. I'd rather have some fresh from the fridge milk steamed, with some freshly dripped espresso, and alas, finished with some creamy foam.

Anonymous said...

Greetings, I do think your website may be having web browser compatibility problems.
Whenever I take a look at your website in Safari,
it looks fine but when opening in IE, it's got some overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that, wonderful blog!

Feel free to surf to my blog post - http://wiki.montanaecosmart.com

Anonymous said...

Great delivery. Great arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.


My weblog - Green Coffee Capsules