Friday, February 06, 2009

Alli - CAUTION - not for the faint hearted

So as I've already mentioned I'm trying to lose a few pounds... and I also don't like to work at it... So I looked into that weight-loss pill Alli that I'd seen on commercials as the only FDA approved pill.

The way it works is by binding to the enzymes in your digestive system that break down fat, so instead of digesting it all 25% just goes all the way through. You know, like peanuts, or corn. Sounds good so far right?

You are also supposed to stick to a low-fat diet with only 15 grams per meal, which may be tricky (15 gr is close to the fat in a grande Starbucks Caramal Frappucino.)

According to them I shouldn't be taking the pill until I'm 167 pounds. "Well what do they know?" I thought to myself. That's when I read the possible side effects. Straight off the Alli website:

alli™ works by preventing the absorption of some of the fat you eat. The fat passes out of your body, so you may have bowel changes, known as treatment effects. You may get:

gas with oily spotting
loose stools
more frequent stools that may be hard to control

The excess fat that passes out of your body is not harmful. In fact, you may recognize it as something that looks like the oil on top of a pizza.

Pick a day to begin taking alli, such as a weekend day so you can stay close to home if you experience a treatment effect. Make the timing work for you. If you're getting ready to travel or attend a social event, hold off on starting with alli until the event is over.

You may feel an urgent need to go to the bathroom. Until you have a sense of any treatment effects, it's probably a smart idea to wear dark pants, and bring a change of clothes with you to work.

You may not usually get gassy, but it's a possibility when you take alli. The bathroom is really the best place to go when that happens.


All I can say is EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Apparently experiencing these "treatment options" can be a plus though, by making you stick to the recommended amount of fat per meal. I guess once you poop your pants you don't really wanna do it again, therefore no "cheating."

Happy dieting guys!

No comments: