Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dedication

I watched the movie Dedication the other day because it was on TV and I had nothing else to do. I had never heard of it which leads me to believe it was probably a straight-to-DVD release, which gives you an idea of how good it was. It was at parts boring, weird and predictable and it also had the worst score ever. The background music was of a screechy girl making annoying sounds throughout almost the entire movie. So why am I blogging about it you ask? I guess I was in a strange mood while I watched it and it made me think.

First off: Is Billy Crudup good looking? I spent the whole movie trying to decide. The jury is still out. Mandy Moore is his co-star. She's pretty hot. For a big girl.
So then there were these two quotes that I actually really liked:

1. "Life is nothing but the occasional burst of laughter rising above the interminable wail of grief."

2. "Life is nothing but the echo of joy disappearing into the great chasm of misery."

Couldn't have said it better myself angry writer guy!

And this is the other thing that I got thinking about. Grand Gestures. You know... there's a couple and then they fight and break up and then the guy has to do something really impressive to win the girl back in time for the closing credits. In the case of this movie it was the dude searching through an entire beach for a special rock to give the girl (hmm isn't that the same plot as one of those penguin movies?) Anyways he gave it to her before she married another guy and then they lived happily ever after. Grand Gestures always get the ladies.

I want a Grand Gesture. I want a guy to go out of his way to do something nice for me. I want a guy to fly across the continent to surprise me. I want a guy to track down something I really like for me. In high school a boyfriend at the time and I were driving through the Matsqui prarie to the movies when he made me pull over and slow dance with him. I will never forget that. At this point I'm impressed when a guy calls me to tell me that he's going to be late. If he remembers something important and calls to wish me good luck that's super bonus points. I know it's a lot to ask... but I'd like a guy to love me enough to do something crazy.

Disclaimer: I have to like the guy... otherwise doing these things would be creepy. I know... I don't make things easy for you fellas.

No comments: