Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Tipping

This morning I dragged my ass out of bed and took a shower instead of hitting the snooze button, and left the house in time to hit the Starbucks drive-thru. Well, let me tell you, I was not impressed. My Dolce de Leche latte was delicious, but the service was less than desireable. First off I was not greeted with the usual overly cheery "good morning" chat I am used to there. Then, even though there were only two cars in front of me I sat in the line from 7:10 to 7:19, post-ordering. That means they were taking 4 minutes a car! Furthermore, as I pulled up to the window I saw they had the audacity to have a tip jar out! I wanted to tell her to put it away if she's going to be so slow!

It's really starting to piss me off that these fast food or drive-thru type places are having tip jars all of a sudden. Taco Del Mar even has a tip option on their debit machine!

Tipping is for when you go to a restaurant and someone spends an hour or more serving you. Servers spnd their time bringing you drinks, taking your order, bringing you food, clearing your plates, getting you dessert, fetching you ketcup, getting you extra napkins, chatting/joking with you, cleaning up after your messy kids, etc etc. I have been there, and it's not easy.

I have no problem generously tipping an excellent server, or just plain old tipping a shitty server, but I am not going to reward the person who I spend 5 minutes with at a fast food place with my hard earned money. Especially when I'm already spending 5 bucks on a coffee, or 8 bucks on a burrito.

Maybe these fast food workers should try stripping to pay their way through school instead, because they aren't getting a penny out of me!

No comments: